TO INDEX PAGE
THE LONDON BARCOCKS
2. THE COPPERPLATE MAP
3. LONDON BARCOCK FAMILIES
4. LONDON BARCOCKS
When I was sorting through the IGI* for the Barcocks in
the direct line, I came across a lot of families from the City of London
around the 1600s
This was the around the times of Samuel Pepys who was born in
1633 near to St. Brides Church, and also the time of the Plague, and Great
fire of London in 1666, so it seemed an interesting branch to investigate.
It did indeed prove to be very interesting and although I have
not been able to find the vital link with my branch of the family, there
must have been some connection.
The locations and names of the churches where they were Christened
and married are very evocative. St. Brides Fleet Street is the "Printers
Church" and I have been there to services when I lectured at the London
College of Printing. St. Margarets Westminster is next to the Abbey and
used for services associated with the Houses of Parliament opposite. St.
Martins in the Fields is the famous church in Trafalgar Square, Allhallows
London Wall still exists, and so on.
I collected the information and took it on a day out with my granddaughter
Freya, visiting the area and the Museum of London and
also the Tower of London.
At the Museum, which is at London Wall, I bought a copy of the "Copperplate
Map". This is an old map made before the Great Fire and shows
the locations of the Churches mentioned in the Barcocks records. The amazing
thing is that the relevant section to my researches was only recently
found in a museum in Germany. It was previously thought to be lost and
is referred to as "The lost map". The map is the first known example of
an "aerial view" type map.
I am including the relevant sections here in this page with all the
information I have on the London Barcocks and images connected with them
that I have gathered together .
International Genealogical Index is at www.familysearch.org
2. THE COPPERPLATE MAP
This fascinating map
I discovered on a visit to the Museum of London on a day out with my granddaughter
Freya in 2001. We had many such trips out together which I shall always
fondly remember. On this occasion we were making our main destination the
Tower of London but taking in the Museum of London as well and looking at
some of the places where the London Barcocks lived back in the 1600s.
I was looking for a momento in the museum shop and bought the copy
of the map. It is indeed an incredible record of the district of the City
before the Great Fire of London in 1666 destroyed much of the area. Amazingly,
much of the layout of the streets and their names are still the same, as
complete redesigning of the area was rejected in favour of restoration
and rebuilding of the existing dwelling places. The great exception to
this was St Pauls Cathedral, which as imposing as the huge spire was on
the original, Wren's dome and new cathedral is a magnificent London landmark.
The old St. Pauls with its great spire can be seen on the map but, more
interesting to me, so also can be seen several of the Parish Churches where
the Barcocks' births and marriages are recorded. I have listed all the
records I could find on the IGI* in the following
sections and below are some enlargements from the Copperplate Map with
reference to the churches named in the records. (These are not on the web
for reasons of copyright).
Part of Moorfields section.
Part of the Moorfields section of the Copperplate Map showing Allhallows
Church, London Wall, marked 12, which still exists.
Joseph Barcock born abt.1632
married Ellinor Sawer there on the 7th. July 1653.
John Barcock born abt. 1661,
married Katherine Pryor there on 23rd. November,1682.
The children of Christoffer Barcock, born abt. 1598, and Blaud were
Also, the children of Edward Barcock,
born abt. 1599, and Jane were Christened there.
Also on this part of the map, marked 15, is Winchester House
with the first recorded picture of a knotted garden.
At 18 is Carpenters Hall.
Part of St. Pauls section
Part of the St. Pauls section of the map showing St. Brides Church,
marked * and 120, bottom left
St. Brides is well known to me as the Printers' Church and it is where
the 3 recorded children of Frauncis Barcock
were Christened in 1592, 1606 and 1608 respectively.
St. Sepulchre's Church is at 105 marked * top left centre. That's where the children of Joseph, born abt. 1661 &
Katherine Barcock were Christened.
Also, the son of John, born abt.1662
and Katherine Barcock was Christened there, as well as the son of Thomas, born abt.1663 and Elizabeth Barcock
was Christened there.
Some of the many other interesting points on this part of the map are,
Fleet Street going down past St Brides, over the Fleet river to Ludgate and
Ludgate Hill, marked 94,
St. Pauls Cathedral is at 92, Paternoster Row at 95 and
the Old Bailey in the centre at 104.
It is amazing that so many of these City landmarks are still there today.
Most of the locations relating to the Barcocks are still there but no more
are featured on the parts of the Copperplate map.
3. LONDON BARCOCK FAMILIES
Details taken from IGI*
1. Frauncis Barcock
born abt 1571 married abt 1592 wife unknown
1. John Barcock bapt. 6.12.1592 St. Bride Fleet Street.
2. Jone Barcock bapt. 25.1.1606 St. Bride Fleet Street
3. Susan Barcocke bapt. 9.10.1608 St. Bride Fleet Street
2. Christoffor Barcocke
born abt 1598 married abt 1619 to Blaud.
1. Christoffor bapt. 17.10.1619 Allhallows London Wall.
2. Christofer bapt. 13.1.1621 Allhallows London Wall
3. Edward Barcock born
abt. 1599 married abt. 1620 to Jane
1. Sarah bapt. 20.2.1620 Allhallows London Wall.
2. Susanna bapt. 4.11.1627 St. Benet Fink London
4. Edmund Barcock born abt.1605 married 12.10.1626 St.
Benet Fink to Alice Adames
1. Anne bapt. 27.8.1629 St. Benet Fink London, possible married
John Yeamons 13.9.1649 St. Benet Fink London
2. John bapt. 8.3.1621 St. Benet Fink London
3. Elizabeth bapt. 20.3.1634 St. Benet Fink London
4. Mary bapt. 22.7.1636 St. Benet Fink London
5. William bapt. 26.3.1641 St. Benet Fink London
6. Sarah bapt.29.8.1638 St. Benet Fink London, possible married
John Oatridge 30.3.1658 St. Benet Fink London
7. Edmund bapt. 5.5.1644 St. Benet Fink London
8. Benjamin bapt.18.5.1646 St. Benet Fink London
9. Samuell bapt.10.10.1647 St. Benet Fink London
5. Christopher Barcocke born abt.1607 married abt. 1628
1. Blandyna bapt. 15.3.1628 St. Nicholas Cole Abbey, London
2. Anne bapt. 20.3.1630 St. Nicholas Cole Abbey, London
6. Christopher Barcock born abt.1615 married abt. 1636
1. Josuah bapt. 29.5.1636 St.Mary Whitechapel, Stepney
2. Samuel bapt. 27.8.1637 St.Dunstan, Stepney
3. Joshua bapt. 13.3.1641 St.Dunstan, Stepney }twins?
4. Benjamin bapt. 13.3.1641 St.Dunstan, Stepney
7. Oliver Barcock born abt.1617 married abt. 1638 to Susan
1. Joseph Barcock bapt. 6.1.1638 St. Boltoph Without Aldgate,
8. Joseph Barcock
born abt. 1632 married 7.7.1653 Allhallows London Wall to Ellinor Sawer
1. Joseph bapt. 2.5.1654 St. Boltoph Without Aldgate, London
2. Jacob bapt. 7.10.1655 St. Boltoph Without Aldgate, London
3. Benjamin bapt. 15.3.1656 St. Boltoph Without Aldgate, London
9. Thomas (Thomae) Barcock born abt. 1645 married abt 1665
1. William (Guiliemus) bapt. 20.1.1666 St. Martin in the Fields,
Westminster.(NB year of the Great Fire).
2. Carolus bapt. 28.2.1668 St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster.
3. Anna bapt. 9.1.1673 St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster.
4. Catherina bapt. 5.3.1675 St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster.
10. Christopher Barcock born abt 1631
Mary Barcock bpt. 26.9.1653
St. Giles Cripplegate London
11. Joseph Barcock
born abt. 1661, married to Elizabeth.
William bpt. 17.9.1682 St. Sepulchre, London
12. John Barcock born abt.
1662 married to Katherine
William bpt. 27.1.1683 St. Sepulchre, London
13. Thomas Barcock born abt. 1663,
married to Elizabeth.
Thomas bpt. 7.12.1684 St. Sepulchre, London
BACK TO CONTENTS
BARCOCKS SINGLE ENTRIES grouped by churches.
ST. DUNSTAN STEPNEY
Alice Barcock born abt. 1586, married John Saueley 30.9.1607
Rebecca Barcock born abt
1527, married Roger Webster St. Dunstan, Stepney
William Barcock bapt. 17.6.1660 St.Dunstan, Stepney
Sarah Barcock born abt. 1613, married William
Briggs 10.8.1634 St. John, Hackney London
ST. GILES CRIPPLEGATE
Thomas Barcock born abt. 1615 married 1.11.1636 St. Giles
Cripplegate London to Priscilla Whitehall
ST. BENET FINK
Mary Barcock born abt 1617, married Robert Gibbot 5.11.1638
St. Benet Fink London
Mary Barcock born abt. 1647,
married John Dison 2.10.1668 St. Margaret Westminster
ST. JAMES DUKES PLACE
John Barcock born abt. 1661, married 14.6.1682 St. James
Dukes Place to Anne Boothe
James Barcock born abt 1664, married 22.12.1685 St. James
Dukes Place to Mary Atklam
Mary Barcock born abt. 1668,
married John Edwards 9.2.1689 St. James Dukes Place.
ALLHALLOWS LONDON WALL
John Barcock born
abt. 1661, married 23.11.1682 Allhallows London Wall to Katherine Pryor.
ST MICHAEL CORNHILL
Samuell Barcock born abt.1666 (year of the Great Fire) married
30.4.1687 St. Michael Cornhill to Ellenor Toucks.